The Senior Living Caregiving Guide is published twice annually in March and September. Over one million family members and friends are caregivers in British Columbia. This resource-filled guide includes articles about caregivers, helpful advice, and a multitude of resources including support groups and companies offering products and services to help seniors live as independently as possible in their homes. We are pleased to partner with the Family Caregivers Network Society in the production of this guide. We appreciate the many businesses without whose support this guide would not have been possible. If you are in need of a particular product or service, please use the directory below to select the business or organization of your choice.
CLICK HERE to print or download our Caregiving Guide.
- Family Caregivers Network Society - provides information and services for family caregivers, volunteer and health services information
BUSINESSES OFFERING CAREGIVING PRODUCTS & SERVICES
- ACE Personnel - Specialties: Homecare for Seniors Childcare/Nanny Placements Disabled Care Support Established in 1977. Family owned and operated. 521 W 57th Ave., Vancouver, BC 604.321.2778
- Alpha Home Health Care - As Victoria’s locally owned and operated provider of quality home health care services, we are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can count on us to be both flexible and affordable 250.383.4423
- Changing Places - is a moving services company in Victoria and Vancouver, B.C. We specialize in helping clients - particularly seniors - cope with the stress of moving by taking care of all their moving and downsizing details. Contact Jane at 250.721.4490
- Everything Organized is Canada’s largest Professional Organizing company offering a diverse range of services that will help you with: Professional Organizing, Downsizing & Moving, Estate Liquidation, Hoarding/Chronic Disorganization, or a Custom Senior Care Package. Call for your free consultation: 604.314.3604
- Galaxy Medical Alert Systems We value honesty, integrity, respect, and most of all trust. We understand seniors and we always recommend the most appropriate system for our clients based on personal lifestyles and needs. Our clients can trust that when they push their emergency help button, the device will instantly connect them to a specially trained and certified emergency operator that will urgently respond to their call appropriately. 1.855.905.7414
- Helping Hands - personal support services including companionship, home support, accompanied transport, social outings, meal preparation and respite care. 250.881.0118
- Home Instead - in-home senior care, respite care, companionship or other home care services in the Greater Victoria area, Port Coquitlam and Vancouver.
Victoria office: 1595 McKenzie Ave Suite 222 Victoria, BC 250.382.6565; Port Coquitlam office: 200-2550 Shaughnessy Street Port Coquitlam, BC 604.552.3324; Vancouver office: #201 - 2232 Marine Drive or #1100 - 1200 West 73rd Ave 604.925.1570 or 604.267.6742
- Motion Specialities (Victoria) - our home medical equipment specialists have been providing solutions for your independence for over 20 years. 1856 Quadra Street, Victoria BC 250. 384.8000 • 1.800.528.9553
- Saint Elizabeth - is a not-for-profit, charitable home health care organization providing nursing care and home support. 380 Cook Street, Suite 2, Victoria, BC 250.385.0444
Health & Wellness Resources
- Connect Hearing - We enable better hearing. We offer a full spectrum of hearing testing and solutions to meet our customers' lifestyles and budgets. Our approach with our customers is warm, professional and straightforward. 1.800.563.4327
- Fit by Design Personal Training - I can design and deliver safe and effective programs to meet your specific fitness goals and help you feel the best you’ve ever felt. My role when working with you is to offer encouragement, expertise and guidance as you set out to achieve your fitness goals. 250.294.2149
- Alexander Mackie All the benefits of city living in a small town atmosphere. Enjoy a great lifestyle - delicious meals prepared by professional chefs, engaging activities and friendly staff. 250.478.4888
- Amenida Senior Care Home is a seniors' community that embraces the concepts of resident choice, dignity and respect. Amenida promotes the privacy and self-reliance of people who require help with some day-to-day tasks but can otherwise live independently. 604.235.1933
- Amica Mature Lifestyles Known as Canada's most innovative operator of seniors' retirement residences. Bringing a superior quality of life to seniors, Amica's reputation for comfort and security make it the premier destination for all-inclusive retirement living. 1.877.447.4827
- Beacon Community Services provides affordable, comfortable and secure housing for people in need. Whether you are a senior or a person living with a disability, one of our residences may very well suit your needs. 250.658.6407
- Berwick Retirement Communities is Vancouver Island family owned and managed since 1989. We offer quality retirement living in 5 buildings across BC. We offer independent living, assisted living and licensed residential care services. When you want the best, there is Berwick. 1.866.394.5463
- Carlton House is an ideal place for seniors looking to enrich their lives through community living, improve their general wellbeing and relax in beautiful surroundings, free from daily chores. Situated in the heart of Oak Bay, Carlton House is walking distance to shops, restaurants, banks, the library, pharmacy and senior's centre. 250.595.1914
- Columbus Charities Association Our goal is to provide conveniently located, affordable, multi-cultural and home-like seniors' housing at each of our residences allowing all residents to live with respect and dignity in a supportive setting. 604.439.2443
- Concord Retirement Residence A little piece of paradise in a natural garden setting with ocean view in the heart of White Rock. 43 independent, self-contained suites in a variety of sizes and prices, including three delicious home cooked meals, housekeeping and laundry, 24 hour emergency response, recreation and transportation. Our Chef takes great pride in serving fresh delicious meals and can accommodate a number of dietary restrictions, such as gluten free options. The relaxed and comfortable ambiance of this privately owned residence has a "home" atmosphere and a strong sense of family amongst the staff and residents. We are pet friendly. 604.531.6198
- Cridge Centre for the Family This remarkable organization has a rich history, a dynamic present and an exciting future. Please take time to explore the numerous ways in which children, families and adults discover new paths to growth and independence through The Cridge Centre for the Family. 250.384.8058
- Dunwood Place Situated in beautiful New Westminster, and boasting a country club atmosphere, Dunwood Place is a secure, affordable and comfortable Independent living residence. 604.521.8636
- The Glenshiel Housing Society The Glenshiel is a convenient, very affordable residence for independent seniors 55+. Just a short stroll from Beacon Hill Park and close to beautiful downtown Victoria. A full package of services and amenities offered. 250.383.4164
- Harmony Court Estate At Harmony Court Estate, we offer all-inclusive retirement living at an affordable price. Our friendly and dedicated team provides a supportive yet independent environment that our residents are proud to call home. 604.527.3300
- Holiday Retirement We invite you to become part of the Holiday family. Surround yourself with neighbours who feel like family, staff who go out of their way to make each day special, and a welcoming atmosphere that lets you know you’re right where you belong. Come experience The Holiday Touch for yourself. 1.800.322.0999
- Kiwanis Village Nanaimo A six acre campus of care catering to seniors requiring various levels of support and accommodation. This unique setting allows seniors to age in place, from independent up to complex care. Kiwanis Village is the place for seniors to live in the Nanaimo area. 250.753.6471
- Legion Manor Opened in September 2006, our non-smoking Supportive Housing and Assisted Living facility features 68 thoughtfully designed one bedroom suites with balcony or patio. Tranquilly located on the beautiful Saanich Peninsula of Greater Victoria. Open to all individuals 55 years of age and up.250.652.3261
- Langley Lodge The name Langley Lodge isn't new, but everything we do is very current. Our residence is new, with all of the comforts of home. We are accredited and that means we are continuously improving our quality of care. 604.530.2305
- Legacy Senior Living - Leo Wertman Residences Ltd Imagine a place where you can live each day in a creative and fulfilling way. Legacy Senior Living offers you choices for an exceptional lifestyle. Steps away from everything you need in Vancouver's flourishing Oakridge, it's easy to stay connected at Legacy Senior Living. 604.240.8550
- Minton House located in the beautiful Fairfield district of Victoria, one block from Cook Street Village and Beacon Hill Park, Minton House is a senior's independent living condominium with support services provided on-site. The independence of owning your own home with the support of our caring and attentive staff. 250.380.4977
- Norgarden This cozy and inviting retirement community is located in Sidney-by-the-Sea, just 20km north of Victoria. Featuring well-appointed suites, gourmet dining and 24hr staff, Norgarden offers everything you need to live your independent lifestyle with ease. 250.656.8822
- Oak Tree Manor Oak Tree Manor offers an independent lifestyle for seniors in a prestigious, yet affordable, independent supportive and assisted living environment. Sixty-six bright and cozy suites combine the freedom of apartment living with homelike surroundings and hospitality services. 250.716.1799
- Origin at Longwood Vancouver Island's leading Active Lifestyle Community. Situated in the Longwood area of Nanaimo, Origin is close to shopping, restaurants and services, and just minutes away from the ferry terminal. 1.877.951.7755
- Pacific Arbour Retirement Communities Ltd. Our retirement residences reflect our attention to detail, and our commitment to the residents who live in them. The suites are spacious, the common areas are open, the views are spectacular, and our services are first-rate. 604.408.5811
- The Peninsula at Norgarden Enjoy elegant retirement living in the heart of charming Sidney-by-the-Sea. The Peninsula offers the very best in independent and assisted retirement living for those who wish to maintain their active lifestyle while freeing themselves from the daily chores of living alone. 250.656.8822
- Lisa Redding - Pemberton Holmes I’m passionate about helping people. Whether you’re a first-time homebuyer or a veteran real estate investor, buying and selling a house can be stressful. It doesn’t have to be. 250.384.8124
- Retirement Concepts is a family-owned and operated Canadian company with 20 retirement communities and homes across BC and one in Quebec. A spectrum of senior living options allows the residents in our retirement communities and homes to stay in one place for the remainder of their lives. 604.662.4969
- Revera We are proud to offer accommodation, care and services that suit individual needs and preferences. Revera offers choices that enable our residents and clients to continue to be their best. 1.877.929.9222
- Rose Manor is a romantic character residence for seniors conveniently located in the heart of downtown Victoria. It is adjacent to a wide range of community and civic amenities. Built over 100 years ago, Rose Manor offers a high standard of independent living in a safe and comfortable environment. 250.383.0414
- The Royale Group of Retirement Residences (Leisureworld) offer the distinctive qualities, privacy and elegance that you’ve come to appreciate in life, combined with the comfortable atmosphere of being in your own home. A warm, friendly environment that engages body, mind and spirit; encourages a rich and rewarding lifestyle; and embraces life; these are the values that shape our Royale community. 1.855.895.3801
- Shannon Oaks is a premier independent living retirement residence with locations in Victoria’s prestigious Oak Bay and South Vancouver. From fine dining to a variety of daily activities and excursions, it’s the perfect place to enjoy retirement and spend time doing the things you love the best. 604.940.1960
- Trillium Care Communities We understand the importance of helping residents maintain their dignity during this transitional time in their lives. To make this move as smooth as possible, our team of care professionals coordinate with you to ensure the move to the home is seamless for you and your loved one.1.855.437.8196
- Unicare Homes is a family-owned, Canadian company based in North Vancouver, that is committed to excellence in seniors living. Whatever style of retirement housing you are looking for, there’s a Unicare residence to meet it. 604.988.6550
- The Wellesley Located centrally on Blanshard Street in Victoria, the Wellesley has for years been the focal point of many families and their retired parents. Originally designed for Independent Living only, in recent years Assisted Living suites have been added, enabling residents to receive the assistance required to remain independent. 250.383.9099
- Senior Living Housing Directory of BC - details and costs for hundreds of senior residences located in British Columbia
- "To Move or Not to Move" Book - a helpful guide for seniors considering their residential options in British Columbia, written by Barbara Risto
- Senior Living Subscriptions - have Senior Living magazine delivered direct to your door every month
- "To Move or Not to Move" Book - a helpful guide for seniors considering their residential options in British Columbia
- "What Is Stopping You?" Book - breakthroughs using The Work of Byron Katie, written by Rick Hoogendoorn
- Reflections, Rejections & Other Breakfast Foods" Book - A collection of Gipp Forster’s published columns in Senior Living magazine, with other unpublished writings thrown in for good measure. A unique blend of humor and nostalgia, Gipp’s writings touch your heart in an irresistble way.
- Airport Butler - Our concierges work in partnership with other airport services providers to guarantee a personalized and stress free experience from the time you arrive until the time you depart. Services including; luxury lounge access, relaxing spa services, shipping & dining all in your own chauffered private mobile cart. 1.855.822.9868
- Cruise Holidays Nanaimo - For 20 years, Cruise Holidays of Nanaimo's team of professional counselors, with over 100 years of combined experience, have helped match our clients with the perfect cruise and tour packages that satisfy their vacation dreams 250.758.7893
- Enjoy Tour and Travel - Serving communities throughout British Columbia for local tourists looking to explore their own backyard. Enjoy the journey and the destination with exciting tours focused on bucket list adventures and unique experiences. 604.630.2434
- Expedia Cruisehip Centers Nanaimo - Providing spectacular vacation experiences and rewarding business opportunities for those with a passion for travel. 1.888.423.7114
- Pitmar Tours - Coach tours throughout North America, personally designed with YOU in mind! Door to door pick up and return with many extras! 1.877.596.9670
- Wells Gray Tours - Committed to providing quality guided vacations and travel packages that allow you to explore the world stress-free and on your own terms at a good price. Victoria 1.888.595.7889, BC Interior 1.800.667.9552
Other Senior Resources
- GreyPlay101.com - A year round web guide to activities, clubs and workshops for seniors in Victoria
- Seniors Serving Seniors - promoting the wellbeing of seniors in the Greater Victoria area
- Self Management BC - An organization offering self-management workshops, free to the public at various locations in BC, for people who suffer chronic conditions such as Diabetes, chronic pain and Arthritis.
Accepted links are organized by Category/Topic.
Search For Articles
Tryolean Austria: Outdoor Splendour in Innsbruck
By Bob Cooper
I travelled last summer to the Tyrolean Alps in western Austria to compete at the Masters ...
Tummy Tuck, Anyone?
By Kate Robertson
Medical tourism gains popularity...
Celebrating BC Family Caregiver Week
By Family Caregivers' Network Society
In British Columbia, over one million family and friend caregivers devote their time and ...