Better Business Bureau advises donors check out the charity before giving money Read more...
Get to Know Your Charities / Non-Profits
In this special section of Senior Living Online, we pay homage to the many chairities across BC and Canada-wide that have dedicated their efforts to helping amazing causes and supporting those in need. Below you will find our featured charities, articles written by them as well as a large catalog of information surrounding Planned Giving.
Seniors - be proud! According to Statistics Canada, seniors:
- tend to donate larger amounts in absolute terms when they have a higher household income, but those with lower incomes give a higher percentage of their total income, making seniors the most charitable of any age group
- are motivated to make donations based on feeling compassion for those in need, wanting to help a cause in which the donor personally believes, and wanting to make a contribution to the community.
- give because they or someone they know has been personally affected by the cause of the organization or because of religious beliefs
Thinking of Giving?
Not sure what type of charitable donation to give, what organization to support or just hestitant? Here are some articles that might help you decide how to put forth an educated step in choosing the right charitiy for you
- Charities Need You to Give
- Donating to Charities 101
- The Benefits of Planned Giving
- Types of Charitable Gifts
- Charitable Giving Strategies
- Why Give?
Planned Giving Magazine Editions - View Online
Click here to view the May 2012 Planned Giving Issue
Our next printed Planned Giving edition will be available November 1st everywhere Senior Living Magazine is available. To order Senior Living Magazine right to your front door, CLICK HERE
Our Featured Charities and Non-Profit Organizations
Click on the organization you wish to browse through their articles or scroll down below for our complete catalog of articles surrounding Planned Giving
- Amnesty International
- BC Children's Hospital Foundation
- BC SPCA
- British Columbia Parapalegic Association
- Canadian Society for Asbestos Victims
- Canadian Red Cross
- Cool Aid
- Covenant House Vancouver
- Elizabeth Fry Society of Greater Vancouver
- Family Caregivers Network Society
- Give Green Canada
- Greater Victoria Eldercare Foundation
- Heart and Stroke Foundation of BC & Yukon
- Leave a Legacy
- Make-A-Wish Foundation of BC & Yukon
- North Island Wildlife Recovery
- Peace Arch Hospital and Community Health Foundation
- Saanich Legacy Foundation
- Saanich Peninsula Hospital Foundation
- Salvation Army
- The Land Conservancy
- Vancouver Humane Society
- Vancouver Island Regional Library
- Victoria Epilepsy and Parkinson's Centre
- Victora Hospice Foundation
- Victoria Hospitals Foundation
- Wildlife Rescue Association
- World Vision
He was a man of little or no pomp and ceremony, but, instead, a man who got the job done. Read more...
It is unbelievable the courage and struggle that these people go through on a daily basis as they wait for someone else to save their life. Read more...
Patricia and Ernie Maynell were two special people that dedicated their time, and their baking skills, to those in need. Read more...
November was Diabetes Awareness Month and each year Nov 14th is recognized worldwide as “World Diabetes Day”. This event occurs each year to mark the birthday of Sir Frederick Banting, the co-discoverer of Insulin. This year is the 90th anniversary of the life changing “made in Canada” discovery of Insulin, which has changed the lives of many Canadians and people worldwide who are living with diabetes. Read more...
Did you know that only four per cent of us here in British Columbia have planned bequests in the event of our death? And that a mere two per cent of all charitable donations in Canada are directed to environmental and animal protection organizations? These are sobering statistics for the charitable sector and downright depressing ones for animal charities. Read more...
The caller reported seeing a flare, somewhere between the Canadian Gulf Islands and the American San Juan Islands. The Victoria Coast Guard immediately dispatched Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary (CCGA), Saanich Marine Rescue, Station 36 to respond to a possible Code-3, life in peril. Read more...
Theo Miller is everything you would expect an almost ninety year old matriarch of nine children, 29 grandchildren and 26 great grandchildren to be – practical, wise and full of twinkles. Theo’s wisdom is simple and no nonsense, “always build family and community because that is who will walk beside you,” she offers. Read more...
Did You Know? Less Than Two Cents of Every Dollar Donated in Canada Today Goes to the Environment Read more...
Hayley qualified for a wish through the Make-A-Wish Foundation because of a life-threatening skin disease she has called Stevens Johnson Syndrome. This potentially fatal condition often begins with non-specific symptoms like a cough and feverishness and eventually leads to a rash, forming severe blisters on the mucus membranes. Read more...
Search For Articles
Gipp Forster: Posthumously
By Gipp Forster
I won’t say when I first wrote this particular column. It could have been last week or ...
By Chris Herbert
Initially, I had some trepidation about this trip or at least a nagging unease. Could I ...
Environmental Stewardship Begins With Family
By Mathieu Powell
Interview with Canadian icon Dr. David Suzuki...