Studies show that even in Canada, more than one quarter – specifically 28 out of 100 people – are worried about 'how they can afford to buy food' for themselves and/or their families. Read more...
Get to Know Your Charities / Non-Profits
In this special section of Senior Living Online, we pay homage to the many chairities across BC and Canada-wide that have dedicated their efforts to helping amazing causes and supporting those in need. Below you will find our featured charities, articles written by them as well as a large catalog of information surrounding Planned Giving.
Seniors - be proud! According to Statistics Canada, seniors:
- tend to donate larger amounts in absolute terms when they have a higher household income, but those with lower incomes give a higher percentage of their total income, making seniors the most charitable of any age group
- are motivated to make donations based on feeling compassion for those in need, wanting to help a cause in which the donor personally believes, and wanting to make a contribution to the community.
- give because they or someone they know has been personally affected by the cause of the organization or because of religious beliefs
Thinking of Giving?
Not sure what type of charitable donation to give, what organization to support or just hestitant? Here are some articles that might help you decide how to put forth an educated step in choosing the right charitiy for you
- Charities Need You to Give
- Donating to Charities 101
- The Benefits of Planned Giving
- Types of Charitable Gifts
- Charitable Giving Strategies
- Why Give?
Planned Giving Magazine Editions - View Online
Click here to view the May 2012 Planned Giving Issue
Our next printed Planned Giving edition will be available November 1st everywhere Senior Living Magazine is available. To order Senior Living Magazine right to your front door, CLICK HERE
Our Featured Charities and Non-Profit Organizations
Click on the organization you wish to browse through their articles or scroll down below for our complete catalog of articles surrounding Planned Giving
- Amnesty International
- BC Children's Hospital Foundation
- BC SPCA
- British Columbia Parapalegic Association
- Canadian Society for Asbestos Victims
- Canadian Red Cross
- Cool Aid
- Covenant House Vancouver
- Elizabeth Fry Society of Greater Vancouver
- Family Caregivers Network Society
- Give Green Canada
- Greater Victoria Eldercare Foundation
- Heart and Stroke Foundation of BC & Yukon
- Leave a Legacy
- Make-A-Wish Foundation of BC & Yukon
- North Island Wildlife Recovery
- Peace Arch Hospital and Community Health Foundation
- Saanich Legacy Foundation
- Saanich Peninsula Hospital Foundation
- Salvation Army
- The Land Conservancy
- Vancouver Humane Society
- Vancouver Island Regional Library
- Victoria Epilepsy and Parkinson's Centre
- Victora Hospice Foundation
- Victoria Hospitals Foundation
- Wildlife Rescue Association
- World Vision
The Tetra Society helps seniors and those with disabilities stay in their homes longer. Read more...
I’d like to talk about a different type of legacy. A non-financial legacy that you will pass down through generations. Read more...
Dynamic husband and wife team Gordon and Nina Benn work together to help ensure their community hospital will be able to well serve the needs of patients – now and in the future. Read more...
We come to an age when our thoughts turn to Wills, beneficiaries, care homes and all the goodies that come with winding down our journey here on earth – and so we should. But, while most of us seek assistance through financial planners, medical facilities and family, often little or no thought is given to the care of Rover or Kitty. Read more...
The BC Centre for Elder Advocacy and Support (BCCEAS) is a leading organization in raising awareness and in the prevention and response to elder abuse and neglect. Read more...
For many of us, our companion animals are family members. There isn’t anything we wouldn’t do for them. Unfortunately, when an unexpected injury or illness strikes our beloved pets, and treatment proves to be costly, some guardians are forced to make that terrible choice between their animal’s well-being and paying the rent. That is where June Humphreys, a volunteer with the Vancouver Humane Society (VHS), comes in. Read more...
Cetus Research & Conservation Society is dedicated to protecting BC’s legacy of whales. We need your help so that future generations can have a relationship with these beautiful and majestic creatures who are so iconic to BC’s identity. Read more...
Giving to charity can be overwhelming at times. Your heart may be in the right place, but if you don't understand donation terminology, you may be less inclined to take action. Here are some guidelines for this year's gift giving season. Read more...
Search For Articles
The Best Kept Secret in the Fraser Valley
By Julie H. Ferguson
Visiting an idyllic resort on the banks of the unspoiled Harrison River...
How to be a Good Tourist
By Suzanne Buller
Tips to avoid cultural blunders that could turn your dream escape into a comedy of errors...
Walking on the Edge
By Rick Neal
A rugged and wind-swept ramble along Vancouver Island's unblemished rocky shores...