Arts & Alzheimer's, Saanich Silver Threads
South Vancouver Island
Tue. April 24th, 2012 – Tue. June 25th, 2013 10:30am - 12:30pm
Arts & Alzheimer’s
Understanding Art & Alzheimer’s
Art & Alzheimer’s engages the best practices of dementia care including socialization, interaction with others, structured routine, non-verbal activity and an expressive outlet.
Who can enjoy art & music?
• Clients with all stages of Alzheimer’s or related dementia
• Those who have been artists or musicians and those who have not
What is the Arts & Alzheimer’s program?
• A two hour art & music session with refreshment break
• Offered once a week for ten weeks
• Current Pilot program - two cycles per year, one in spring & one in fall
• Our focus: those 70% of dementia clients still living at home with a caregiver
• Dementia can effect a person’s ability to communicate entrapping them in a lonely dark world
• Parts of the brain associated with art and music are the last to be ravaged by the disease
• All people have a right to express themselves for as long as they are capable
Clients with Alzheimer’s or related dementia
• Enjoy freedom of expression, social interaction and cultivation of new or renewed talents
• Enjoy a respite from care taking duties
Artists & Musicians
• Utilize their skill to foster expression through art and music
• Experiences the continued contributions of those with dementia
Search For Articles
Gipp Forster: Posthumously
By Gipp Forster
I won’t say when I first wrote this particular column. It could have been last week or ...
By Chris Herbert
Initially, I had some trepidation about this trip or at least a nagging unease. Could I ...
Environmental Stewardship Begins With Family
By Mathieu Powell
Interview with Canadian icon Dr. David Suzuki...