News

Much Loved Columnist Gipp Forster Dies

By Barbara Risto, INSPIRED Senior Living Publisher on Apr 17, 2013

We are greatly saddened by the death of our friend and Senior Living columnist Gipp Forster, who passed away on April 15, 2013.

We made Gipp's acquaintance about 16 or so years ago when we moved from Alberta to BC so that my husband Barry (Senior LIving's co-publisher) could take on a position at the Mustard Seed, a street church and food bank founded by Gipp. Some years later, in 2004, I created Senior Living magazine. Already knowing Gipp's gift as a writer, I asked him if he'd write a monthly column. I felt it would be a perfect outlet for his many stories and insights. And so it has proven to be!  And much more...for we can never begin to count the number of lives he touched or the chuckles he invoked...

And then there were the aha moments... when he would put his finger on a memory or thought that just resonated so deeply that you could touch, smell, hear, feel or visualize it with such clarity it was almost like you were there with him in that moment. That was the greater gift that Gipp gave all of us - the ability to laugh at life, to not take ourselves so serious, and to appreciate everything in life - no matter how big or small. To taste the favour of living and savour it to the last drop!

Thank you, Gipp, for your passionate being-ness. We are more enriched because of the life you lived here on earth.  Thank you for sharing it with us.

Gipp has written a special column that he asked us to run after his death. We will publish it in May.

Meanwhile, if you wish to express your thoughts about Gipp to Donna, his wife, you can do so by commenting below this blog.  Or you may do one of the following:
Email us at: gipp@seniorlivingmag.com
Mail us at: Senior Living, 153, 1581-H Hillside Ave., Victoria BC  V8T 2C1

We will be happy to pass all your correspondence along to Donna Forster.

A memorial will be held for Gipp on April 26, 2013 at 1:30pm at Gateway Baptist Church, 898 Royal Oak Avenue, Victoria BC

Comments

Showing 1 to 11 of 11 comments.

Donna. I only met you once and still recall your warmth and acceptance of me, the Mother of one of the precious girls you ministered to. I knew Gipp since 1980 and volunteered at the MS and loved the people. In 1986 Gipp officiated in his office the marriage of me and my husband. We had ten years before I lost him to MS. I just bought one of Gipps book and am thoroughly enjoying his witt and insight. May God bless you richly. Janis <><

Posted by Janis Fowler | April 13, 2017 Report Violation

These are really good pitucres! Jordyn is a beautiful young lady and it would be hard to pick out a favorite!! Good Luck your Senior year Jordyn!

Posted by Mohamed | February 23, 2015 Report Violation

Every year at Christmas i looked forward to the voice of Gipp Forester. I was on the road a lot with my work and was fortunate to be in my car and catch a couple of his messages on my radio through the day. I can never tell you what peace it gave me to hear his voice and hear his message. My heart is saddened to hear of his passing and will certainly try to find a CD of his messages. God bless you Mrs Forester and your family.

Posted by Janice D Jollimore | January 5, 2015 Report Violation

My son,, purchased two of Gipp's Christmas CD's,,, for me a number of Christmas's past, and they had become a HUGE part of my CHRISTMAS,,, and my FAMILY,,, HIS "VOICE",,, so much FULL of LOVE,,, the POWER OF HIS MESSAGE,,, his voice gives me "GOOSEBUMPS",,, In researching this Special individual,, I learned of his passing,, He has touched so many lives,, and will live within US all,,, all of the LIVES HE HAS TOUCHED,,, with his MESSAGES of CHRISTMAS,,,, My Deepest belated condolences,,,, GOD BLESS,,,

Posted by Bob Wallace | December 2, 2014 Report Violation

Dear Donna, I've never met you, but want to express my deepest sympathy for your loss. Thank you for continuing with your husband, Gipp's articles. I've enjoyed them so much. I cannot imagine the sorrow mixed with bittersweet joy at the memories during this holiday season. I only pray that your generous, sweet spirit and the Almighty will sustain, comfort and bless you abundantly, especially during Christmas. Thank you for your generosity in continuing to share these articles, and as an honor to Gipp, as well, of course. Many blessings, Patricia

Posted by Patricia | December 10, 2013 Report Violation

Donna, I so loved to here your sweetheart's stories each Christmas. My kids have remembered them and are trying to find the stories. He had such a wonder sweet spirit through his voice. I am so sorry for your loss. He will be missed by many, but are still in so many more hearts because of his spirit and stories that will be remembered forever.

Posted by Staci Nelson | December 10, 2013 Report Violation

OH NO! Thanks for the memories Gip. Never met you but, felt like I knew you.

Posted by myrna | September 17, 2013 Report Violation

Hello Donna. Was you maiden name Nablo?

Posted by Brenda Wilson (nee Robinson) | May 31, 2013 Report Violation

I wanted to express my admiration for Gipp. I read a few of his latest columns and got enormous pleasure and laughter from them. What a way he had with words. He was funny, self deprecating and obviously an extremely wonderful human being. I hope there are more people like him. Somehow, I do not thank so. He was one of a kind. May he rest in peace.

Posted by Jean Dutton | May 13, 2013 Report Violation

Hi Donna, I have never met you; however I knew Gipp and his family for most of my life. When Gipp's girls were young (Mara was still a toddler and Layna a young school girl!), I had the pleasure of being the girls' babysitter. To know Gipp, was to love him, as you know. He had an open, giving, loving, and beautiful spirit and the gift to love everyone and make them feel worthy, no matter what their situation or lot in life. Did Gipp have an influence on my life? Of course he did, and does he was remarkable and larger than life - his spirit lives on. I pass my thoughts, sympathy and heartfelt love on to you and the entire family. Please let Mara and Layna know that I send them a huge hug! God bless! Donna Montgomery (Donnamm@shaw.ca)

Posted by Donna Montgomery | April 26, 2013 Report Violation

The Book Gipp carried all his life now carries him. He is with the Lord in a room prepared for him. His rambilings and his voice live on here inspring others to the Lord

Posted by rev allen tysick | April 25, 2013 Report Violation