Your Cat Behaving Strangely? Feline Dementia? Or Just a Cat?

By William Thomas

View all articles by this author

Cats, like their owners are living longer than ever before. That’s the good news. With enhanced longevity comes the downside of aging - arthritis, high blood pressure, kidney problems and even dementia. If you live long enough, you’ll likely inherit these afflictions.

A recent survey by Scottish veterinary surgeon Danielle Gunn-Moore reveals that 28 per cent of cats aged 11 to 14 are affected by feline dementia - that number jumps to 50 per cent for cats 15 years of age and older.

Similar to Alzheimer’s, a protein in the form of sticky plaques build up on the brain’s nerve cells causing mental deterioration by disconnect.

Dr. Gunn-Moore’s own cat inspired her research; 12-year-old Cardhu started showing signs of human senility. (Single malt lovers are welcome to make up their own “12-year-old Cardhu” joke here.)

There are exceptions to the rule of dementia for aging cats. Not all old cats go batty.

Years ago, I stayed one week in a draughty Bed & Breakfast walk-up in Chalk Farm, halfway up the Black Line of the London Underground system. The Irish proprietor creeped me out with her ghoulish theories on Lady Di’s death, and how “they first killed her unborn child before they staged the car accident.” So, my only solace was Rosie, a 21-year-old blind Tabby who slept beside my bed each night. In the morning, this cat, scrawny and rickety but resourceful, would walk along the walls all the way down two flights of stairs, around a couch, around a coffee table, under a TV set and up to a window. From there, she leapt up onto a cushioned sill, her resting spot for the day. Touching the walls and furniture with her whiskers, she had committed two additional routes to memory - one to her food station and one to the litter box. Rosie’s mind was still sharp at over 100 human years of age.

My Irish landlady made my stay so unpleasant; the day I left, I rearranged all the furniture - just to give her cat a bit of a challenge. (No, I did not do that.)

So cats, it seems, are more prone to aging dementia than dogs.

Kidney failure and hypertension are just two of the symptoms of feline dementia. Other signs include aimless wandering, a decrease in grooming and a sudden lack of interest in food.

However, with some of the signs the dementia survey warns about, with a cat, it can be a little tricky.

“Inappropriate vocalization,” for instance, could be a symptom of senility, or if the dog walked off with Missy’s stuffed mouse in his mouth, it could be a sign that your dog is about to have a nosebleed.

“Episodes of disorientation?” My neighbour once found my cat Wedgie hiding in his bird feeder. Going a little batty? Hardly, Wedgie all but put his toes to his lips so Bob wouldn’t alert the incoming birds. Or as Wedgie liked to call them, “lunch.”

“Memory loss that causes your cat to forget commands?” Hullo!! A cat that follows orders!? Until they begin to crossbreed cats with dogs, you’re pretty much talking to yourself while giving directions to felines. In fact, if your cat does heed your commands, that too might be a symptom of senility.

“Disorientation like getting trapped in corners?” Once again, I refer you to my juvenile delinquent Wedgie, who, on the first day I brought him home was so curious about his new digs, he got his bum stuck between the couch and the baseboard radiator. That’s how he got his name.

“Constant pacing back and forth?” OK, but what if he’s just worried about something like dinner being late or chicken versus beef or you with that bottle of shampoo in your hand?

“Lack of interest in food?” Yeah, that’s probably a sign of dementia unless Tabitha there has found a better deal two doors down.

“Confusion about time. Forgetting they’ve been fed?” Once again, on a personal note, I once had a cat named Malcolm who could eat a husky under the table. Malcolm ate his food and often cleaned out the bowls of three other cats that were too well-mannered to hiss and scratch. Malcolm was quite thin for a glutton (I know, I know, we all hate people who can pull that off!) and his nickname was “Hoover.” Many a time he tried to trick me into believing I’d forgotten to feed him. It only worked about half the time. Senile? No. Sly? Like The Family Stone.

“Screaming in the middle of the night?” That could well be a sign of advancing dementia or a nightmare involving him, you and a pill.

“Forgetting the location of the litter box?” Either way, you got yourself a big problem. I never had a cat that misplaced the sandbox, but there was old Uncle Randal from Antigonish who - let’s just say the far corner of the dining room does not make a great substitute for the “john” and there are still people from that Thanksgiving Day dinner in therapy.

“Increased irritability?” Not likely a serious sign. I believe a cat said: “If you’re not angry half the time, you’re letting down the breed.”

“Increased attention seeking?” Yeah, like jumping into even more laps of people who do not like cats, than he normally would?

And that’s the real problem with cats and the detection of dementia - most of them are so wonderfully loony, how do you know for sure?

Editor’s Note: If you suspect your cat is experiencing dementia, please see a vet. There are medical treatments and behaviour tips available to ease the problem. Also, your cat could exhibit senile habits, but might just be unhappy or depressed.

For comments, ideas or a signed copy of The Cat Rules, go to www.williamthomas.ca

MAY 2011 SENIOR LIVING MAGAZINE VANCOUVER & LOWER MAINLAND

This article has been viewed 50379 times.

Comments

Showing 1 to 13 of 13 comments.

My Tuffy is 18 years old now. He is an Orange and White Tabby, he is a house cat, never been outside. Now everytime someone takes the dogs out in the back yard, Tuffy will follow them out there. He stands and meows at the backdoor to go out. He has never had any desire to go outside his whole life, and now that's all he wants to do. Sometimes, he just stands and stares at you like he doesn't know who you are, or just look off in space standing there. I have noticed so many changes in him. If he happens to find a spider web behind a door he will go an eat it. I am afraid he is going to get one with a spider in it, and get bit. I have been keeping up with all the ones I find, but some how he will find one somewhere in the house. He comes crying for food, I feed him and 10 minutes later he wants more food as though he never ate.. I know he has dementia, he doesn't even want to groom himself anymore, so we brush him and take care of him. He also has been found urinating in the drain of the bath tub instead of using his litter box as he normally use to do. I Love him so much. My Son and him grew up together. He was only 4 months old when my Son was born, and they both were best friends from the beginning. When he goes, it is going to be a big loss for our whole family, as he has always been like one of my kids...

Posted by Kathy | September 28, 2014 Report Violation

I have a 20 year old cat that's senile. Her names Mickey and she's a female Japanese bobtail. I've actualy made a list of what makes me think she's senile; nibble at fingers/toes, especially when you’re opening a plastic bag meowing has increased ( which is really bad sense there was a lot in the first place, but hey, she’s a Japanese Bobtail so what do you expect!) Just sits there and does nothing, staring deeply at nothing No longer uses the litter box anymore has lost her instinct to hunt (won’t play with feathers or strings) no longer grooms herself (which is really gross because she doesn’t use the litter box anymore so she sits in that stuff) can’t jump on Jazzy’s bed is mostly deaf, which could be another reason for meowing 20 years old, average lifespan for her breed is 9-15 years old. if the water dish is on the ground, she tries to step in it and get litter coating her paws doesn’t like bending down average cats sleep 16-20 hours a day. She sleeps maybe 4. doesn’t acknowledge you if you walk in if you touch her she jumps a little, thankfully she still purrs like crazy if you pet her looses her balance easily is extremely light, though vets claim that that is normal for her age you can clearly feel her backbone She recently went to the vets so I’m pretty sure she doesn’t have a urination infection and I don’t think she does this anymore (or sense she meows so much now you can’t even tell) but for a while she would meow louder whenever she pooped like she was in pain

Posted by Mickeygoincraycray | July 15, 2014 Report Violation

I have a 19 yr. old Maine Coon that is blind and deaf. She howls and calls more often than not anymore, day and night, no one in this household sleeps or gets quality sleep anymore including the cat. She always has screaming episodes after she eats, but also at anytime, normally 6 good howls consecutively that will shrill and raise the hair on the back of your neck, there is no sleeping through this and I also run to her and pet her when she does this to soothe and assure her she's ok, then she quits. I am at a loss though and aside from giving her everything I think she needs or that could help her, it's not enough and as much as I am selfish of not wanting to part from her, I also would not want to be in her dark, quiet world where she is surely going insane. Any help or advice is desperately needed.

Posted by Autumn Leed | June 29, 2014 Report Violation

Question. I wrote about my 18yr old cat with kidney failure and peeing around the house. Well this has happened again. She weighs 4.5lbs, still cuddles, runs around, eat good, drinks a lot, pres a lot and throw up about 3-6 x a wk (foam, clear liquid, fur ball or food). When we are not home we keep her in the master bathroom with a window, 3hr timed heated blanket, cat box, food, water and s cushie bed. She does have arthritis in her back legs and serious periodontal disease. She can not have her teeth cleaned professionally due to stress ,age, weight but once in a while I do try to remove the tartar/calculus from her back teeeth. The peein has put a real stress on my relationship. Any advice? When do u knkow its time to say good bye. I have had her since I was 17yrs old and she will be 19 yrs in Aug. I don't want to be one of those crazy onwers who does not know when it is time but everyone else knows when they see her. People say u will know. Any advice on knowing when its time? My cats name is Angel. I love her so.

Posted by h. jackson | May 4, 2014 Report Violation

My cat, Bagheera, is 18, has confirmed thyroid problems but is allergic to both the pills and transdermal gel. She is now picking up the habit of the constant yowling, especially at night. I've been really worried about her, thinking the time had come to put her down but after reading your article I felt much better knowing that she is in the early stage of dementia and that it is somewhat 'normal'. She is still happy, very social and well she has lost a lot of weight, she seems healthy, eats well, drinks more than normal (thyroid) but shows no sign of pain, for which I am thankful. She is very much loved and as long as she seems happy and pain free, I hope that I'll get a couple more years with her. Thank you.

Posted by Dragonlady | April 23, 2014 Report Violation

Your cat, Malcolm, most likely had hyperthyroid. Classic symptoms of hyperthyroid are being chronically hungry and not gaining weight. Their metabolism is running so hot that they just burn everything off and need more and more food. I have two like this, and the constant hunger was abated with regular medication doses. They also began to put a little weight back on after the medication.

Posted by Anamorphosis | September 25, 2013 Report Violation

I think my 15 year old tom cat had dementia he also developed a twitch then suddenly he has just disappeared. Its been 6 days now and Im really worried, could he of gone away to die or could the dementia of caused him to forget where he lives.

Posted by wendy | August 25, 2013 Report Violation

I have a question for those who would like to share. I have been looking for months for something and can not find it. My cat will be 18 this month. I brought her in for a routine checheck up...Dr said her kindeys were small. Blood test confirmed she has kidney failure. Her max weight was 8.3 pounds. She is now 5lbs. She eats (wet food), drinks a lot, pees a lot. She does have some arthritis. She has been peeing under the bed and by the tv. Had carpet cleaned. Before I had it cleaned I kept her on the bathroom which is large with a window. She went per in her box. I did bring her to the vet and they gave her an antibiotic for a UTI. We know she didn't have one....no blood, no sitting in the box, no crying. She has had them in the past. Can someone help. She cannot keep peek g in the house...is it crf, dementia.. when do u know its time. I love her sooooooooooo.

Posted by hjackson | August 22, 2013 Report Violation

My 15 year old cat was recently diagnosed with early kidney disease. We administered a dose of Frontline a week or so ago and she has been actly strangely ever since. She is eating and drinking but will not come out of the closet longer than to eat and use the litter box. It is like she is scared to death to be around my husband and I. She also acts like when we brush her she does not know what it is. That was one of her favorite things to do. I wonder if somehow this could be dementia. Any comments?

Posted by Gail Hammack | July 23, 2013 Report Violation

Thank you for a wonderfully funny yet informative article. My 18 year old has had early symptoms of dementia for a couple years now. But the last few days seems worse than usual. Noticing that some days are better than others. I'm pretty sure that he is almost deaf, going blind and now the dementia is really kicking in. Have had him so long he is like one of my limbs and losing him is going to be painful but he's still happy and seems to be in no pain. Hopefully he'll live out the rest of his life blissfully unaware of his old age. Thanks again for the insight.

Posted by Sonja P | July 13, 2013 Report Violation

After the recent "acquisition" of a senior cat - and never having had one prior, I not only found your article to be uplifting and comical...but very helpful. I can assume that my lovely old boy is in fact, just a boy...who needed a full belly and a warm safe place to sun himself into his golden years!

Posted by FunnyCat | February 19, 2013 Report Violation

Awe, this article was hilarious and made me smile. My cat is 11 years old and I'm scheduling her an appointment with the vet this week. But from what I've read listed above, she could just be "looney" & :)

Posted by Alvina | October 7, 2012 Report Violation

Yes, my 21 year old cat has dementia. Yes, she howls occasionally for no reason. Yes, she sleeps most of the time now. Yes, she misses the catsbox by relieving herself outside of the box. But, she is very loving and loves to sit on my chest every night,she loves for me to carry her outside and we listen to the birds and smell the flowers. She has been my only companion for all these years and I will miss her terribly when she goes. Do I regret caring for my elderly cat until its time to go------never.

Posted by Irishlass | June 7, 2011 Report Violation