Home care services can be purchased privately or through an agency. Some home care services you must pay for yourself, while in other cases funding may be available to cover some or all of the home care expenses.
The types of services provided by home care agencies varies from agency to agency. Most provide a continuum of care, providing services as simple as companionship or taking you to appointments and increasing in complexity to include respite care, nursing services and palliative care. Regardless of your needs, there's a service that can meet them. Here are some of the choices available:
* Alzheimer Care
* Appointment Escort Services - drive or escort to shopping, errands, bank and doctor appointments
* Brain Injury Care
* Companions - conversation, playing cards, sorting photo albums
* Communication - help with phone calls, sorting & sending mail, updating list of emergency contacts
* Foot Care Services
* Health Care - help with medications, changing bandages or dressings, monitoring skin condition and pressure points, monitor weight, take blood pressure, etc.
* Home Support Services - light housekeeping, change and laundry of bed linen and clothing
* Meal Preparation - menu selection, preparation, fluid intake monitoring
* Money Management - payment of bills, filling out health claim forms
* Mobility Assistance - transfers, lifts, support and supervision while walking, exercising, assist with bathing, inserting hearing aids, attaching braces
* Palliative Care
* Parkinson Care
* Personal Care Services - bathing, washing your hair, brushing teeth, cleaning dentures, dressing, eating, changing undergarments and pads, skin care, etc.
* Professional Nursing Services - blood work, catheters, reports to physician, etc.
* Products to Assist Daily Living - may have products or devices to help with mobility, reaching, exercising, teach proper use of items, etc.
* Respite Care for Family Caregivers
* Safety Assessment - suggest changes to improve safety in the home to prevent falls or other household accidents; help determine need for a medical alarm device
* Social Participation - assistance to attend outings and activities
* 24 Hour Live-in Care