Sausage Risotto Primavera
View all articles by this author
Colourful, loaded with delicious vegetables yet hearty and warming.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
6 to 8 servings
What You'll Need:
- 1/4 cup Mazola RightBlend! canola and olive oil blend (or your preferred brand)
- 3/4 pound sweet or hot Italian sausage, casings removed (Recipe Tip: Try using sausage made from chicken, turkey or pork for a healthier choice.)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chicken flavour bouillon powder
- 6 cups very hot water
- Another 3 tablespoons Mazola RightBlend! canola and olive oil blend (or your preferred brand)
- 4 cups diced fresh vegetables, such as red and yellow bell peppers, asparagus, broccoli florets, zucchini, peas, butternut squash and carrot (Cook dense vegetables like carrots or squash first and after a minute or two add the other vegetables)
- 1 cup shaved or shredded Parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
What You'll Need to Do:
- Heat pan and cook sausage until well done. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a seperate large saucepan over medium heat; add onion and garlic and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until softened.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add the rice and stir until completely coated with oil; cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in white wine and cook until almost dry, 1 to 2 minutes
- Combine bouillon powder and hot water and mix until blend. Add 1 cup of broth to rice, stirring constantly, until most of the liquid is absorbed by the rice.
- Gradually stir in remaining broth 1 cup at a time, cooking and stirring until liquid is absorbed before adding the next cup.
- While rice is cooking, heat 3 tablespoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add vegetables and saute for 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp tender. Stir in sausage, remove from heat; set aside until risotto is nearly finished cooking.
- Risotto is ready after the last cup of broth has been stirred in and rice has thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in vegetable mixture and Parmesan cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Top with additional shaved Parmesan, if desired, and serve immediately.
This article has been viewed 1513 times.